The ballast tanks of the entire MSG Babetta tugboat of shipping company MSG have been passivated with nC Corrosion Passivator – Fluid. 180 meters length finished in 4 hours!
Benefits passivation for the MSG Babetta:
- After rust biting, normally fly rust appears or pops up quickly. By using floating application, MSG Babetta was ahead of the fly rust.
- No time wasted by grit blasting or corrosion removal. This saves weeks of work.
- Grit blasting is not required for metal passivation. This gives much less waste and a safer work environment.
- nC Corrosion Passivator can be applied to wet surfaces. Passivation is always a metal treatment, but not always a coating.
- No blasting waste saves huge costs.
- Corrosion passivation at rust prone areas prevents recurring corrosion.
- Floating has a much more favorable yield per liter than conventional paint systems. Savings around 40% to 60%.
- Corrosion passivation can be done under vessel.
Corrosion Passivation of ballast water tanks, voids, bungs, cofferdams and peaks by Floating in 7 steps:
Step 1: Prepare the tank(s) and remove loose rust and loose paint. You may, but you don’t have to. Do make the bottom free of loose rust.
Step 2: Spread the nC® Corrosion Passivator between the rafters at the bottom of the tank.The Passivator is designed to float on water.
Step 3: Pump water (fresh or salt) into the tanks to a level just above the first rafters and stop pumping there for a moment so that the passivator can distribute itself once more.
Step 4: After 15 minutes, the filling process can continue. Fill the tank(s) to the maximum level. All tanks at once or one by one makes no difference. Make sure the filling speed is not faster than 20 cm per minute.
Step 5: Drain the tank(s) again. Not faster than 20cm per minute. The material remains on the surfaces and is not pumped out of the tank(s).
Step 6: After draining, the metal will ‘switch color’. Passivated metal usually becomes deep dark purple or anthracite in color.
Step 7: Ready! The tank can be put into service 4 hours after treatment. The nC® Passivator protects for a long time. Often, only after 10 years or so, it has to be refloated. Since no solvents, heavy metals or toxic substances are used, working with nC® Corrosion Passivators (Fluid, Primer WET, Primer 2-in-1, Ruimvloer) is not harmful to people or the environment.
For further information and references regarding any nC Passivator products or application, please contact us via the contact page.